TECHIQUE TO THE TEACHING OF LISTENING
TUGAS MATA KULIAH
Bp. ANNUR ROFIQ
PROGRAM SERTIFIKASI GURU DALAM JABATAN
MELALUI JALUR PENDIDIKAN
Listening by Using Authentic Materials and Situations
The Listening by Using Authentic Materials and Situations is an example of Comprehension technique.
Authentic materials and situations prepare students for the types of listening they will need to do when using the language outside the classroom.
This technique can increase the students’ curiosity about the real situation. For example the announcement in the airport, railway station and the interview in the TV program, and etc.
It can be:
1. One-Way Communication
2. Two-Way Communication
In authentic two-way communication, the listener focuses on the speaker’s meaning rather than the speaker’s language. The focus shifts to language only when meaning is not clear. Note the difference between the teacher as teacher and the teacher as authentic listener in the dialogues in the popup screens.
Materials we need:
• Radio and television programs
• Public announcements (airports, train/bus stations, stores)
• Speeches and lectures
• Telephone customer service recordings
1. Help students identify the listening goal:
– to obtain specific information;
– to decide whether to continue listening;
– to understand most or all of the message
2. Help students outline predictable sequences in which information may be presented:
– who-what-when-where (news stories);
– who-flight number-arriving/departing-gate number (airport announcements);
– “for [function], press [number]” (telephone recordings)
3. Help students identify key words/phrases to listen for.
The strength of the teaching learning process are:
1. The teacher :
Teacher is easy to instruct or order to the students’ activities.
Teacher can select the material easily and complexly.
It’s not too difficult to choose the programs.
2. The students :
The situation is to challenge the students’ enthusiast.
The students are very enjoyable to watch the program.
The students can prepare by themselves.
The weaknesses of Listening by Using Authentic Materials and Situations:
1. The students are still finding the difficult words.
2. It is rather hard to select the program which is suitable with the grade of the students.
3. Our school is only have a room for the class with the suitable equipment (multimedia room).
The activities of The Listening by Using Authentic Materials and Situations
A. Students activities:
1. Read the instructional book conducting the listening learning activities
2. Prepare a note book and pen or pencil.
3. Watch the TV program carefully.
4. Do the tasks given from the TV program (ex: games).
5. Notice the difficult material and then ask to the teacher.
6. Do the exercises from worksheet given by the teacher.
B. Teacher activities:
1. Pre activity
Tell the goal to the students.
Asking some questions supporting the material will be discussed.
And so on.
2. Whilst activity
Watch the program with the students.
Keep the situation conductively.
And so on.
3. Post activity/Follow up
Give the reflection about vocabularies/phrases from the topic.
Give some question as a feed back.
Ask the students to find the other sources relating with the topic.
Give the homework for the students (make a short paragraph).
Task 1. Fill in the blanks with correct word or expressions provided!
1. Can I have … to Yogya, please?
2. Do you prefer … or economic class?
3. The synonym of “depart” or “board” is … .
4. I need some rest during the … .
5. I go to Australia by … .
6. We … at Sukarno Hatta at 5:00 pm.
7. … told us to fasten our belt when we were take off.
8. If we go by plane we can arrive … than by bus.
9. Rudi brings his suitcase with the … .
10. … helps a pilot to drive a plane.
faster flight arrived trolley business
plane a ticket A co-pilot The stewardess take off
Task 2. Match the statement and the reason in the following sentences!
1. I like traveling … .
2. You may have to unpack the luggage … .
3. I think traveling by plane nowadays is affordable … .
4. You can have enough rest … .
5. I can always claim safety from my flight … .
a. Because I always deal with a professional travel agent.
b. Because it gives considerably lower fare.
c. Because they provide us with comfortable seats.
d. Because I can go to different places.
e. Since it is too heavy to carry.